Friday, February 25, 2011

Bath Time


Each time before I go on a therapy visit I need to be nice and clean so Mom takes me to Chow Hound to have a shower.  It's not my most favorite thing but I'm willing to go through it if I get to go on a visit.

Wednesday was a visit to Metro Hospital in Grand Rapids.  The people are in beds so we knock on their doors and ask if they would like a visit.  Usually 2-4 dog teams go to a room.  We go in either as a single team or like this week Clarence Ebenezer, a black French Bulldog and his mom went with us in the room.  We had fun cause our mom's would tell the people that we were brothers. Ha Ha....  Clarence's mom would lift him up so he could see the people.  Mom didn't do that with me cause I have no problem seeing everyone.  We met a lot of very nice people.  It wasn't as busy as some nights which is good cause that means not as any people are sick.   I had to go up and down that crazy elevator again.  It's just not my thing but by the end of the night I was an old pro.  We went up, down, up, up some more, down.  We sure walked a lot that night too, I wonder how many miles we walked.  Maybe mom should put a pedometer on me.

There was a lot of petting from the nursing staff also.  They need "therapy" visits too, cause when they work they have to care for a lot of people and work long hours.

Thursday we went to Wedgwood Christian Services.  I LOVE going there.  Usually about 6-8 teams meet in the gym and boys ages 12-18, about 8 or so come and play with all the dogs.  They can pet us or throw balls for us.  We have our leashes off and can run around with the boys for about an hour.  By the time the hour is up the boys are tired and hungry for supper and my dog buddies and I are ready for a nap.  I met a new boy this week who took me for a walk around the gym, played ball with me, kissed me and gave me a GOOD rubdown.  He didn't mind my slobber at all.  I was so happy that he gave me so much attention that I give him kisses all over his face.  He was really great and you know what, his name was Ben, just like mine.

Mom ordered some trading cards with a picture of me on it and some information about me so I can give them out to the people I meet.  They came in the mail on Wednesday so I was able to hand some out at Wedgwood.  The boys were so happy.  They all said they were going to put them up on their bulletin boards in their rooms.  It sure is fun to see all the smiles that these kids have as they rough house with us.

Whenever we leave a visit we ALWAYS tell them "thank you for letting us visit".  It's hard to tell someone to have a "nice day" when they might be in pain or are sad but if you thank them for allowing us to visit they just might feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment